Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Is that a baguette in your pocket?

Sorry about the decided lack of posts last week. It's been crazy! Our mid-term paper is due tomorrow, as is a draft resume for my career management class. We have a networking assignmnet due next week. Add to that the lessons for Food Sanitation, and the fact that we're doing inventory at work, and I've been super busy!

Friday we had a skills lab, which was great because there were so few of us there. We really got to work one on one with Chef L. on things like rolling and stippling baguettes, braiding challah, and cutting dough.

Friday night I was taking the trash out at home and tripped (over my own bare foot, aparently) on the porch. The concrete porch. Hello, skinned knee and gouged shin.

Sunday I washed my uniforms. Soaked and washed coats, aprons, and side towels in one load, and then did the second load of pants, t-shirts, and hats. And a black gel pen. Yeah. Those would be ink stains all over my t-shirts. Thankfully, the pants came out unscathed, and only one of my hats has a little ink dot on the back. I'm hoping nobody notices. But I did have to go to Wal-Mart yesterday and buy new t-shirts.

It's actually been a good week in lab. I think the skills lab helped us all gain some confidence, and we haven't been bugging Chef L. much at all. Tomorrow we start the Week 4 rotation, which included croissants, danish, and doughnuts. We'll be making Boston Creme Doughnuts, which are my most favorite doughnuts (after jelly-filled, of course... I asked my dad one time what kind of doughnut I used to get as a little kid when he'd take me to Dunkin' Donuts, and he said that I always got jelly. I guess they've been my favorite for a looooong time :) )

Once week 4 is over, we spend week 5 doing our practical exam. I can't believe how the class has just flown by. Winter trimester schedules came out last week. All of us GYD's have am labs, and then on Tuesdays we'll have Baking Tech. It incorporates a lecture and a lab, and runs from 2:15 to 8:30 at night. Ugh.

And really, what's with the culinary class fascination with fish and veal? Seriously, I've eaten fish more in the past 3 weeks than in the past 3 months, simply because I won't eat veal.

OK, off to do more work....

No comments: