Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holy Chocolate, Batman!

Okay, first things first: I really want to know why I seem to wake up on the klutzy side of the bed on Wednesday mornings. Could it be the 12 hours of class on Tuesdays? So, this morning I get to class and put my belongings (toolkit, notebook and binder, formulas book, apron, side towels, water bottle and travel mug) neatly under my station. Someone in class had very graciously filled soap and sani buckets for my table, and put them on the outside edge of the shelf next to my station. This is not where we ever keep our buckets. Surprise! There is such a thing as gravity, and it works really well to make sure that the slanted cover of a three ring binder is not the best place to keep one's apron and side towels. Hello, wet apron and towels and a big puddle of soapy water all over the floor. Chef just looked at me and shook her head. I wonder what she thinks when she watches me do stupid stuff like that.

Today was a great day for chocolate. We had to make a chocolate LSS (liquid shortening sponge cake) for our practical tomorrow, and a flourless chocolate sheet cake for a yule log. We finished the German Chocolate cake we started yesterday. We also made a jelly roll sponge, and a huge batch of Italian Buttercream. tomorrow we'll finish the yule logs and the practical cake. We'll also have our written mid-term. Then, two weeks of break! I'm looking forward to break, and to getting back East to see friends and family. But I am going to miss cakes class. I really love Chef C. She is awesome! And she told us today that we are one of the best classes she's ever taught!

Most of the baked goods that we produce get sent to the storeroom every day, and the folks there distribute them as needed to diningh rooms, the main dining hall, university events, or the freezer for use at a later date. I found out today, though, that the cakes are different! The cakes that we make (my class typically produces around 40 cakes a day, and the afternoon advanced cakes class at least another 20 cakes on top of that) get dontated to Project Angel Heart, which provides meals to people living with HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening illnesses. So, that makes me feel good, that we're making desserts that will be enjoyed by people in the community as well.

I need to go do some studying... wish me luck tomorrow!

No comments: