Monday, December 8, 2008

Dances with Cream Cheese

Today we made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yum. But, really, the amount of cream cheese icing required to fill and frost 4 carrot cakes is a lot. And it kind of goes all over when made in a 20 quart mixing bowl. After finishing the cakes, each slice got topped with a little marzipan "carrot". Way cute. Alas, I forgot the camera at home. Maybe Wednesday I'll remember.... We also finished our citrus tortes (torted into 3 layers, filled with lemon curd and frosted with German buttercream, then scored and garnished with buttercream shells and little knots of candied lemon peel).

Things that are good:
1. my piping is getting better, as is my finishing
2. my new travel mug keeps my tea hot all morning long; I made it at 6:15 this morning, and because I kept the lid closed, it was still nice and warm at 12:30!
3. I got some work done this afternoon
4. arriving home to find out that we are having chicken and dumplings for dinner :)

Things that are icky:
1. not getting as much work done as I wanted (thanks in no small part to not being able to find the reference book I needed, getting stuck in 3:30 pm traffic going through downtown on Colfax, not being able to find a parking space at the public library, and having to go back to the pharmacy because they were out of my prescription over the weekend)
2. not getting home before it started to snow, since I was aparently not thinking this morning and left home without a coat (future note to self: chef's coat does not a toasty warm coat equal)
3. altitude adjustments and formula conversions
4. it's snowing out

No comments: