Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Moving Right Along...

Cakes class finished up last week. All in all, it was a successful segment. I learned alot, and I got my first "A" in culinary school!

Friday (we had a make-up day last Friday because of the MLK holiday on Monday) was our first day across the hall in Hot and Cold Dessert Presentations. It appears that all the rumors we heard about Chef K. are false. I'm finding her quite delightful. The class is much less intense than Chef Clement's class, but not as relaxed as Chef Comar's, if that makes any sense. We're making lots (and lots!) of pie; Moday was Dutch Apple, yesterday was Cherry. Today were Strawberry Chiffon and Lemon Meringue. Tomorrow we're going to do cream pies. I love pie :)

Bake Tech is moving along. It's not my favorite class by a long shot. I understand the reasoning behind it, but a lot of the time it feels really redundant. Maybe if we were Freshman who hadn't had a culinary lab before, it would seem more important. Besides which, the ovens work like c&*$ and there's never enough equipment.

Speaking of which, I've gotten really spoiled being able to bake in the labs. We have everything we could possibly need, from 5 kinds of flour to sheet pans in stacks and parchment paper that comes in sheets, and huge mixers with two different sized bowls. Not to mention space. Ergo, baking at home has turned into a challenge. I have to make a list before I bake to make sure that we have everything I need. We're kind of limited for space. And I still haven't figured out the temperature discrepency in our new-ish oven (that we've had for a year). Someday, someday. Someday we're going to win the lottery and build our dream house with a fabulous kitchen. Maybe.

Right now I'm avoiding doing homework. I missed Bake Tech yesterday, and since I missed a lab on chocolates, I need to write an essay about chocolate. I think. I can't seem to get either of the chefs to email me back, and Keisha said that when she told Chef Swanson I was going to be absent, Chef Swanson had no idea who I was. Great. 7 weeks of class and she doesn't know me from a tree stump.

In other news, we collected 142 hats for the DPL K4OT event last weekend! Yay!!

No comments: