Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"It's not dollar days at K-Mart!"

I know, I know. Such a bad blogger am I. Breads is finished, and we are now both feet into French Pastries. I'm liking this class simply for the fact that it is not as stressful as Breads was. Some of the people in my class who've had other labs are, apparently, bored. But, I find enough to keep me busy, so I can't complain. I also do well with the chef's more hands-off teaching method, so no complaints here except for the fact that his instructions can be a little vague. So, I've learned to ask very specific questions.

We're taking our mid-term practical tomorrow. I'm not that nervous, as I'm pretty sure I've got a good handle on everything. Once I learned the trick to piping non-anemic looking eclairs, I stopped being afraid of the pastry bag! For those who are interested, don't pipe your eclairs head-on; angle your hand so you're actually piping a little sideways.

Today, we made this really tasty dessert called tartouf. You make cream puffs that you fill with lemon chello (boil lemon peel and sugar in Vodka or Everclear; mix into diplomat cream). Then, you dip the entire cream puff into freshly made chocolate mousse. Sounds (and looks) kind of gross, but OMG! Delicious! Chocolatey! And it was a good thing, too, because lunch from the International Cuisine class was really bad. Again.

It's hard to believe that the trimester is almost over. Class gets out for fall break on November 19th, and then we have 11 days off! What a treat!

OK, time to gather my notes for tomorrow....

No comments: