Friday, September 12, 2008

How I paid for college, and other tales

Besides a variety of service-oriented summer jobs (camp counselor, cashier at a drug store, and telephone customer service provider), I paid my school bills via a work study job in Dining Services. This meant dishes. And pots. I've washed many a pot, and many a sheet pan. But I've got to tell you that you've never seen anything like the amount of sheet pans used by a class of 25 baking lab students. It was crazy making. The policy is that you wash your own dishes as you use them, and then one table is assigned to kind of monitor the dish pit and put away the dry stuff. At the end of the lab, when everyone else is taking care of their daily cleaning assignments, the table assigned to dishes washes all the sheet pans, proofing trays, etc. Today was my table's day in the dish pit. There were LOTS of sheet pans. I think that's all I'll say about that right now.

Today was a busy day. According to Chef L., we produced 16 different items today. We had a quiz. We did dishes. We got to eat some chocolate from Chef B's chocolates class. At lunch there was spanikopita. And pie! I thought I was a picky eater. Not so much, after seeing how picky some of my classmates are.

On tap for the weekend: studying. Laundry. And working on my research paper. I'm doing mine on Portuguese Sweet Bread, and I need to get over to the campus library so I can get some books.

I'll leave you with some pictures from today. From top to bottom are biscuits, lemon poppyseed muffins, sour cream raisin bran muffins and corn muffins.






No comments: